Raised garden beds, which materials are best?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    phylPhyl
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Preparing materials for making raised garden beds? Any suggestion for household items I could use? Resourceful gardeners, would appreciate your input.

tamlei28Tam&Lei28
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Phyl, wine and beer bottles and extra firewood logs are good options; ready-made ones at garden stores are quite expensive so last year, I used firewood logs for my garden beds. Happy with the result… !

aida-5e80b0d79f963Aida
    Greenhorn
    Private message

If you have unused hollow blocks and rocks around your house, that will also do. 🙂

plant-and-eatplant-and-eat
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Ply boards & galvanized iron sheets. You can even use those plastic bottles for laundry detergents if they’re enough and don’t shrink when you press them.

Good luck!

phylPhyl
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh nice to see your replies, thank you! Got a few of wine bottles and detergent containers. Surely could start with this. Got planks too but painted. Wondering if paint chemicals will be a danger to the vegetables later on?

gerrygoluckyGerrygolucky
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Hmmm I’d not use those painted boards for a veggie bed. Especially if that’s old paint, sometimes it has lead in it and that’s really bad for brain development. Keep the painted ones for flower beds if you really want to use them. I made a raised bed from extra bricks I had laying around, that worked well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)