Recipe to treat poisoned trees

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jenny wjenny w
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My local foreshore group has discovered Coastal Banksias and She Oaks with about 5 large drill holes in each trunk and then poisoned – of course opposite a big new ugly house where the owners can’t abide any trees in their view of the Bay. Many of the trees are dying, but none yet completely dead. We’ve seen the recipe on your website to treat the ground with a sugar solution. Does anyone know if the sugar needs to be fully dissolved first in hot water, then cooled before applying to the soil?

The trees poisoned are mostly Coastal Banksia and She Oaks, and the soil is sandy. Any different advice for them?

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi Jenny, sad to hear that. It’s all the same whether you mix the sugar in cold/normal water, or heat the water first to dissolve the sugar.

The heating up technique is faster, but uses energy. The cold-mix technique is slower and means you have to mix it manually for longer until it dissolves.

Sounds like you’re going to make a fair amount of the mix. Maybe it’s best to just fill a barrel up with water, add the sugar, and roll the barrel around every so often during the day to help the sugar dissolve? Sun will warm it up which should help. Use the next day when cool.

Since it’s sandy soil, maybe you’ll have to repeat the treatment a bit more often, to compensate for the fact it drains faster.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

gerrygoluckyGerrygolucky
    Expert gardener
    Private message

It’s going to be hard to save them if someone already went the whole nine yards to kill them…

jenny wjenny w
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks Nate. The Ranger and I will give it a go tomorrow.

Cheers

Jenny W

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Great. Hope it saves at least a few of them! Good luck.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)