Red berries on my spotted laurel, are they edible or toxic?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Reply
    jenJen
    Greenhorn
    Private message

    I have pets and a toddler, and I just realized the berries on my spotted laurel are very tempting. Does anyone know whether they’re dangerous if eaten? They look so nice, I’m not willing to cut the shrub back if I can avoid it.

    berries-on-spotted-laurel-edible-or-toxic

    Reply
    planthobbyistplanthobbyist
    Greenhorn
    Private message

    Hi they’re toxic. Have something called aucubin in them. It says its not deadly but it’ll make you throw up and such.

    For your pets, all you can do is cross your fingers, but you can teach your toddler not to eat the berries without checking with you first. Maybe someone knows how to teach that effectively? I can’t help much, don’t have kids… hence my plant hobby  😛

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)