Rose new stems are dwarf, what’s going on?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gailgail
    Greenhorn
    Private message

If anybody here could clarify what’s going on. New grown stems are pretty thin, short and consequently bear tiiny flowers.  This rose had long stems, enormous flowers before, especially beginning of spring. Hope to read you soon

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

What city/state are you in? Can you post pictures of the bush and a few closer to these “new dwarf stems”? What is the name of this variety? How much direct sun is it getting now (in late September)? Or from when until when does it get direct sun?

gailgail
    Greenhorn
    Private message

gailgail
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Ans this one was taken in spring, as you can see the stems are really long even when the flowers are just starting to form. I’m in Western Europe and sadly I don’t know the variety of this one.

gailgail
    Greenhorn
    Private message

There were the flowers, again in spring. I know you can’t tell the size of the stems and flowers by the picture but I can assure you their size is beyong compare to the first photo shared

Thanks for responding by the way.

gailgail
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I forgot to answer you last question. Direct sun only for half a day from 11h30 onwards.

jakipopjakipop
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Based on the picture  its a matter of pruning i guess.

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello Gail, are all stems the same for the whole rose tree? It seems to me that at the right side, you have taller stems. Is the whole tree exposed to the sun although only for a half day or are the particular dwarf stems sometimes under shade depending on position of the sun? How about competition from other plants? Any blocking plants around it before?

It’s a pity you don’t get these gorgeous blooms anymore!

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)