Salix (Pink Flamingo) tree dying off

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    wakerzwakerz
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi all

Really hope someone can help

I have a beautiful Salix planted in the ground. Been there for around 5 years without any issues, however last year I notice some of the flowers and leaves turned brown and started to die. Didn’t think too much of it but this year they didn’t grow back where it’d died off, however the rest fully bloomed. Now even more of the tree has started to die off. In actual fact about half now.  I’m not sure why as I’ve never changed the watering habits or anything that could potentially start this reaction.

please help!!! 68ECC52F-5AB8-432D-BC9D-ACED3EB475CAD85B021E-92DD-407C-8C01-52DB80AEA5A028820823-F2ED-4270-9B78-487611CA7F3D

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Salix plants can be notoriously thirsty and prefer soil that is as evenly moist -not soggy!- as you can make it. To tell when to water, insert a finger into the soil and water if it feels dry. In warm climates, the white rocks may absorb too much heat and release it at night. In the summer, increase the amount of water and then revert to spring watering levels once temperatures recede in the fall. Windy locations may help the soil dry quickly so, test the soil with a finger in order to determine when to water (as opposed to watering on a schedule).

gerrygoluckyGerrygolucky
    Expert gardener
    Private message

I know it’s been a month but I couldn’t help but barge in. How is your tree doing now? What seems truly evident to me is that the portion that died is located exactly at the crosswinds of the building, just over the corner. It would be truly interesting to see whether new growth would survive on that side if there was some type of windbreaker that would extend the protection somewhat. Not much is needed maybe only a couple feet, but it might be enough. For me, that explains why only exactly half the tree died off. Maybe the wind on that side of the house is dryer and it really dessicates the branches.

Maybe see if you can train one of the nearer healthy branches to grow where the dead one was to replace it. I agree with luis that for this one the watering is very important, but it’s so nice!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)