Scotch broom hedge plant ,pruned too viciously

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    pele50pele50
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a scotch broom smallish hedge plant at the front of my house , I’m very annoyed with myself as I’m NOT a gardener really but we do have a few plants at the front of our house which were put in approximately 5 and a half years ago. I try and keep them below the window ledge so prune them whenever they grow over and above it , but as i looked down from my upstairs window i could see that the broom plant was sort of out of alignment with the drive and had grown over it so I decided to prune it down but went a bit mad, now we have a bald patch at the front of the plant so wondering what i can do to either help it grow back or put something in between to cover the bald spot which looks horrendous unfortunately. Many thanks in advance for the advice .

ratatat-tattyratatat-tatty
    Expert gardener
    Private message

I wouldn’t worry much because the scotch broom will grow back quite fast!

Unless it doesn’t get enough sun on the bare part. Make sure that sunlight reaches the bare patch. You might need to prune some more further up to make the top narrower than the base instead of the other way around. I hope i’m able to make this understandable.

pele50pele50
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks very much , I’m very worried that it might die as it looks so bad ,but one good thing is we do get a lot of sun on the front of the house so hopefully it will help 😀 , here’s a photo so you can see how bad it really is ☹️ AA50A708-6FB6-4DBD-B8F8-FBD5D5E1B684C6C6401F-345E-470A-A45F-2643827B4815

ratatat-tattyratatat-tatty
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Oops yeah that is some big hole you cut into it! I can imagine the branches there bulging out onto the pathway so you were right to do that.

It’ll grow back for sure, it seems like it gets lots of light. To keep the shrub narrow, I’d do the following, especially if you pass by the shrub often:

• every few days, when you walk by, scout for new shoots in that zone
    • every time a single shoot is as long as your thumb, cut it back by half. Normally just pinching it with your fingernails should do fine.

You’ll see it branch out into many different shoots and it’ll be very dense. Then you can prune it narrow and it won’t grow over your walkway too much.

Looking forward to progress pics!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)