Should I repot or trim my pothos? Pics included

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    beezybeebeezybee
    Greenhorn
    Private message

IMG_20230530_131927977IMG_20230530_131921381IMG_20230530_131942177_HDRIMG_20230530_131915404~2

I recently bought this pothos from home depot (terrible place to get plants i know but it was so big and beautiful!) and it seems very overgrown to me. I’ve noticed a few yellowing leaves by the base that I have been pulling out as I find them but also quite a bit of new growth! I know that pothos likes to get a little root bound but I’m not sure about this one. Any advice on what I should do with it?

sam-5ee76d4fc0782Sam
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I love to see the new leaves on this one! It’s going to be beautiful.

I think it’s had some problems with too much dry air: you can see the brown tips on some of the older leaves. That’s probably from the stint at the store  😕  but in the end for those you would just need to snip them off.

In my experience pothos doesn’t care at all about how its roots are. A friend has had them growing in a vase full of water for years, all she does is change the water every 2-3 days. And I’ve seen some growing on trees in the tropics, they just latch on to the trunk and send a few roots down to reach the ground, exactly like you’d see for orchids. It’s quite impressive!

And of course it roots from just anywhere so if you want you can let it hop from one pot to another and it’ll take root in each one!

It does love having a lot of light. The more light, the larger the leaves.

kellkell
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It’s still adjusting to the new environment and in this case indoor with not a lot of moisture. Mist the leaves to keep the leaves healthy. You’ll know there’s a need for repotting when leaves get smaller and fewer and when stems get leggy.

kellkell
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I forgot to mention, although it looks healthy and doesn’t seem to need repotting, you can repot it in a bigger container if you want to have that not-so-crowded appearance. It will surely grow more and more! In its native environment, leaves can grow up to a foot and definitely a climber. See photo below…

243587591_3083583871925835_8039610803347531935_n

beezybeebeezybee
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks for the advice! I gave it a little “haircut” and snipped off those dry ended leaves, and am seeing a lot of potential new growth underneath. I post an update once it grows in…
    I also put it in the sunniest spot I could and am misting it every day, so hopefully it will reach it’s full potential!

beezybeebeezybee
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you very much! Will do :))

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)