Stephanotis with mottled yellow leaves while blooming

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ShazShaz
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My Stephanotis leaves are starting to turn a mottled yellow. This is happening just as the plant is coming into bloom. Any suggestions as to what to do?

bertybertbertybert
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi Shaz! First of all yellow leaves is often overwatering – are you sure it isn’t wallowing in water? If it’s a few spots it might be an insect or something. Do  you think you could share pictures?

LifeenthusiastLifeenthusiast
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Stephanotis belongs to the group of plants which don’t like abrupt change in temperature. Have you transferred it recently in a spot that gets colder or hotter anytime of the day?

AAAA
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I ‘rescued’ a mature plant a couple of years ago, and after some trial and error it finally started growing again this spring. Now the new vines are dying off, but the newest set of leaves seem fine.  I also have flower buds for the first time. Are the two related? How can I make the new vines live? Any ideas welcome!

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Maybe it lacks a little light, @AA

I suspect that because when light is scarce, it tends to drop lower leaves to redirect nutrients to leaves that are higher up, since that’s usually where more light is. Maybe this might be happening to yours?

LifeenthusiastLifeenthusiast
    Greenhorn
    Private message

@AA, is it in a pot? Have you put fertilizer this year? It can actually be that the plant doesn’t have enough nutrients to sustain the whole vine. Could be great if you attach a picture.

AAAA
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks for your replies. I don’t think it’s lacking light, it by a window with the blinds always up. Maybe it needs more fertiliser. It’s just odd that it’s throwing out new leaves, and is forming blooms, so i think it’s generally healthy, except for that the new vines are dying off. I unravelled them before they started dying but didn’t harm them to my knowledge. Maybe they don’t like hanging free?

ShazShaz
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you all for the suggestions. It’s definitely not over watered and is getting plenty of light. I have put a photo a leaf in my album if you   Can access it.

bertybertbertybert
    Greenhorn
    Private message

@Shaz just checked the picture you shared, it might be chlorosis or some kind of virus or also possibly some type of pest.

Chlorosis is a lack of nutrients but sometimes the nutrients are there, the plant just can’t get them because the pot is full of calcium due to watering with tap water. When water is hard, chlorosis develops on some plants. Are you watering with tap water? If so, start collecting rain water and use that instead. Excess minerals will wash out in time. I’m betting this is the case here, had very similar blotches on my mint some years ago.

If it’s a virus though I’m not sure what to do. The shape of the spots seems fairly typical of some virus, but then again the picture is very blurry so not very easy to know… might be mites or midges, they also roam around leaves like that…

zygzyg
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi

How do I access the photo please  🙂

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi @zyg the picture is in shaz’s profile. Just click on the avatar or name and then you can access the profile – from there click on the “photos” tab next to “About” and “Forum”. You’ll see the picture right under the gray bar.

2021-05-10_145602

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)