There is land near my home is not in use. I am thinking to start Honey Hive.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kiranupadhyaykiranupadhyay
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Near my home, there is land not used. I want to have been hive. It helps my community to get organic honey. Please advise how to get it.

gerrygoluckyGerrygolucky
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Wow that’s an interesting project. Sure you can have a beehive on your lot, and the bees will go to the empty lot nearby it’s a good idea. Where are you from?

I had a few hives back in the days, and it’s actually pretty easy to start a hive. If you’re starting from scratch, you’ll have to do four things:

• plant lots of flower plants, shrubs, trees, ground  cover. Take a walk in your area and check what flowers bees are pollinating and visiting. Plant lots of those!
    • build a hive. With a few tools and wood, straw or clay, you can build different kinds of hives. At the beginning they’ll be empty but in time a wild swarm might come set up house. You can mix a little honey with water and spray it inside the hive to attract them.
    • check if there’s a beekeeper’s association or group nearby, and register. It’s really important, they’ll help you at every step.
    • get the equipment to protect yourself. It’s really important to work with a face veil, gloves, clothes that won’t let bees in, and smokers to calm the bees down.

Tell us where you’re from, maybe someone nearby can help out!

plantito_sottoplantito_sotto
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Do it!

Bees are amazing and so important for all of us!

They are not terribly hard to take care or, realistically they do it all themselves.

lizzieolizzieo
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Our bees need all the help we can give them.. The changing air quality ,and global “progress” has not been kind to our bee populations ..Kudos to you for attempting this project Kiranupadhyay, and thanks Gerrygolucky for the great info….

I grow as much as I can to promote the bees..In my gardens, Himalayan orchid (Balsam) , and borage  are a favourite staple for the bees ..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)