May 22, 2021 at 8:55 am ReplykiranupadhyayPrivate messageGreenhorn
Near my home, there is land not used. I want to have been hive. It helps my community to get organic honey. Please advise how to get it.May 27, 2021 at 2:29 am ReplyGerrygoluckyPrivate messageExpert gardener
Wow that’s an interesting project. Sure you can have a beehive on your lot, and the bees will go to the empty lot nearby it’s a good idea. Where are you from?
I had a few hives back in the days, and it’s actually pretty easy to start a hive. If you’re starting from scratch, you’ll have to do four things:
- plant lots of flower plants, shrubs, trees, ground cover. Take a walk in your area and check what flowers bees are pollinating and visiting. Plant lots of those!
- build a hive. With a few tools and wood, straw or clay, you can build different kinds of hives. At the beginning they’ll be empty but in time a wild swarm might come set up house. You can mix a little honey with water and spray it inside the hive to attract them.
- check if there’s a beekeeper’s association or group nearby, and register. It’s really important, they’ll help you at every step.
- get the equipment to protect yourself. It’s really important to work with a face veil, gloves, clothes that won’t let bees in, and smokers to calm the bees down.
Tell us where you’re from, maybe someone nearby can help out!November 15, 2021 at 10:45 pm Replyplantito_sottoPrivate messageGreenhorn
Bees are amazing and so important for all of us!
They are not terribly hard to take care or, realistically they do it all themselves.January 22, 2022 at 8:55 pm ReplylizzieoPrivate messageGreenhorn
Our bees need all the help we can give them.. The changing air quality ,and global “progress” has not been kind to our bee populations ..Kudos to you for attempting this project Kiranupadhyay, and thanks Gerrygolucky for the great info….
I grow as much as I can to promote the bees..In my gardens, Himalayan orchid (Balsam) , and borage are a favourite staple for the bees ..
- You must log in to post and answer topics. Sign up / Sign in