May 22, 2021 at 8:55 am ReplykiranupadhyayPrivate messageGreenhorn
Near my home, there is land not used. I want to have been hive. It helps my community to get organic honey. Please advise how to get it.May 27, 2021 at 2:29 am ReplyGerrygoluckyPrivate messageGreenhorn
Wow that’s an interesting project. Sure you can have a beehive on your lot, and the bees will go to the empty lot nearby it’s a good idea. Where are you from?
I had a few hives back in the days, and it’s actually pretty easy to start a hive. If you’re starting from scratch, you’ll have to do four things:
- plant lots of flower plants, shrubs, trees, ground cover. Take a walk in your area and check what flowers bees are pollinating and visiting. Plant lots of those!
- build a hive. With a few tools and wood, straw or clay, you can build different kinds of hives. At the beginning they’ll be empty but in time a wild swarm might come set up house. You can mix a little honey with water and spray it inside the hive to attract them.
- check if there’s a beekeeper’s association or group nearby, and register. It’s really important, they’ll help you at every step.
- get the equipment to protect yourself. It’s really important to work with a face veil, gloves, clothes that won’t let bees in, and smokers to calm the bees down.
Tell us where you’re from, maybe someone nearby can help out!
- You must log in to post and answer topics. Sign up / Sign in
Log in or Join