Thymes leaves white spots

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tamvanTamVan
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Why are my thyme leaves have tiny white spots on? What sickness is this and any means to control it? It’s been the case since last year.

gardencompaniongardencompanion
    Greenhorn
    Private message

is it powdery and goes under the leaves? if yes that’s scale insects.

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello TamVan, scale insects infection is very probable but could be another thing as well like chlorine in water especially if you’re using tap water for your plants. I’d be more confident giving my opinion if you could post a picture but only if that’s possible…

β€œYou got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

alec55_58alec55_58
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Yes a picture would be very helpful for us to provide a better diagnosis.

tamvanTamVan
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Guys thanks for your replies. See picture below as requested. As you can see, it’s quite dominant and it’s in all the leaves.Β 

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

This is absolutelyΒ caused by chlorine from the tap water. What’s best is to collect rainwater for the plants or let the water from the faucet sit in for a few hours before watering.

alec55_58alec55_58
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I agree with you Carol. This condition is also evident in mint leaves. It doesn’t change the taste of the herbs though or at least what I believe.

jakipopjakipop
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks, learning something new here. Same situation for my basil leaves now and using faucet water too. Will follow your advice

tamvanTamVan
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you again for all the info guys! I confirm that I use tap water. Honestly it’s inconvenient for me to gather rainwater so I’ll settle with letting tap water sit in prior to using it.

alec55_58alec55_58
    Greenhorn
    Private message

You’re welcome but I didn’t do much.Β Β πŸ˜€

chrissochrisso
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi, I also have these white spots and was wondering if you also think this is chlorine in tap water or something else? There are also small black spots mixed in.
    9ECD082C-6C07-46D7-BC73-9246EB69F21E

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello @chrisso! Yes, I’d say it’s still due to chlorine in tap water. Let the water sit for few hours before watering, this will allow the chlorine content to evaporate.

s.wendys.wendy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi all, I couldn’t help but notice the discussion. I’m more partial to the idea that it might be some tiny insect, like thrips. They’re so small it’s impossible to see them but they leave that typical white trace where the leaf is hollowed out under the skin. There’s a few pictures out there that might match the ones you posted here.

In any case switching from tap to rainwater will help, so that wasn’t wrong advice Β πŸ˜‰

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)