Tomato de arbol in Cuenca Ec.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    elsitaelsita
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a Tomato tree in Cuenca Ec. It is planted in a large container and it is doing good. This year we collected and ate some 20 fruits from it. Our problem is that the tree grew tall(possibly my fault) to about 3 meters. But nothing on the first t2 meters. No Leaves, no fruits.

My question is….is it possible to cut the tree down to about one meter and let it sprout again.??

Please let me know.   Thank you

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Interesting question. I do not have the answer but I know of some gardeners who, two years ago, grew a few potted tomato trees that were even taller. As you describe, most of the growth (foliage, fruits, etc.) that I saw was near the top. Closer to the large pot, there was not much foliage/branches/fruits. I may need to drive there again and see what’s new. If I see any persons, I will certainly ask and post again. I remember thinking how they were harvesting the fruit when the tomatoes were so high. Then I saw a ladder and guessed that may be what they used. I do not remember now if the trees produced normal tomatoes or small cherry tomatoes though. I do not think they looked like tamarillos from Solanum betacea (formerly Cyphomandra betacea).

elsitaelsita
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Many thanks for your help. I will let the tree grow the way it chooses, in the meantime I have started a new plant from seeds. This way I can see the difference between the two methods.

Again many thanks.

Paul

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Cuenca! Wow! I spent time in Ecuador, but only around Quito, Otavaolo, Esmeraldas… Wasn’t able to go check the vegetation of Cuenca out at the time  😯  … Someday I hope!

Regarding tomato tree pruning, I know you can cut it back severely and it’ll grow back. Best is to do it right after the harvest. If it’s really tall with absolutely no side shoots, you can shrink the tree over two years: cut the topmost branch off the trunk at a junction the first year to lose some but not all the height. Should lead to new shoots lower down, and the following year you can again drop the higher branches from the trunk, since lower ones will keep the tree alive.

Usually owners try to keep it about 5 feet / 1.5 m tall, so that the harvest isn’t a hassle, as @luis_pr noted with the ladder story earlier.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)