Too late to spray grapevine with Bordeaux,?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stevekstevek
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi. I have an old grape vine trained across the roof of my conservatory the fruit of which we normally press for juice and pasteurise. Last year I lost the whole of what promised to be a bumper crop to botrytis . I determined to spray with Bordeaux mixture “as soon as the buds break. Of course, I didn’t do it 😕 the bunches are now at small pea size – plenty of space between and all looks well . My question is, us it ok to spray with Bordeaux now, in June?

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hi stevek sure better late than never. Mid-July is when you have to start thinking strategically, even end of July is fine. What’s important is to leave a good two-three weeks at least before the harvest, ideally with a little rain in between to wash everything out. Treating now will definitely help protect your crop!

stevekstevek
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks Jeffry. On it. Though a thorough wash before pressing will have to substitute for the rain, as the vine is trained inside the conservatory. Should I spray the whole vine, or just the bunches?

murraylilymurraylily
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi, last year I didn’t get to spray the grapes in time either and did it in July, mostly on the leaves, I didn’t touch the vine much.  😉

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

@stevek I agree with @murraylily, though normally it’s safe to spray the fruits as well, instinct just says… stick to the leaves and stems!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

stevekstevek
    Greenhorn
    Private message

thanks both. Should be spraying today or Friday.

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

So how’d it go? Notice any sign of botrytis? Hope not!

stevekstevek
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Didn’t actually get round to spraying until today. The vine and the developing fruit look fine! But the fruit doesn’t ripen until October so I will have to keep an eye out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)