trees and shrubs dwarf mock-orange self propagating like crazy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gcolc@shaw.cagcolc@shaw.ca
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My dwarf mock orange appears to have self propagated about twenty new plants last year, all had at least one bloom and are over one foot tall this year. I would like to move them to other areas of garden.Three questions: 1. Was propagation by seed or root?  2. When can I move them with the least amount of shock.  3. Does this mean my plant and its’ new plants will be this invasive always?

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hi I love the smell of mock orange my neighbor has one it’s soooo nice! We’ve had a few seeds of his sprout in our flower bed so it might come from there. But you’ll know for sure if you dig one up: if it’s connected to a larger root you’ll have your anser. They can still be moved even if from root but you have to bring along a portion of the main root with it, do it in fall when the leaves have fallen that’s always the best time (even if they’re from seed).

And yup, you’ll have to deal with this the whole time! If it’s from the roots more than from seeds then maybe try to set up a rhizome barrier, I did that for my bamboo the instructions on this site were pretty helpful lemme go fetch the link for you

Loving the season!

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)