What do you look for in a gardener you’re hiring?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    plantito_sottoplantito_sotto
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Just as the title says I’m curious what you look for when hiring not just landscapers but someone to do some real hands on gardening?

My backyard is probably 35 x 35 ft with mostly flowers and shrubs ( i have a small vegetable garden too).

I get kind of nervous with having strangers over my house but hiring big companies tends to be pretty expensive so I’ve tried to hire individuals online from craiglist but I get scared someone is going to try to steal from me. I’ve  done background checks by name on backgroundcheckrepair in the past but even having the piece of mind from running a background check but those are still limited as they only shows me if someone was convicted a crime.

Maybe some of you know some resources or a better way?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Dele_b1961Dele_b1961
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi it’s a good question. I do most of my gardening on my own, but for heavy projects like trimming the hedge I usually ask around, there are a few younger cousins and nephews who are happy to help and get a little something to spend on the side.

If not for them, I think I’d ask around the neighborhood – supposing you know your neighbors a bit – and ask them who is working for them. They’ll tell you if the person is reliable or not.

luiLui
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I agree that it’s hard to pick the right people from craigslist. There are lots of great people out there, but the site is so huge it attracs scammers and mean people, too. Maybe there’s a local app instead you could look into. These tend to be smaller, with nearby people and they’re less anonymous. Plus look at the comments (I don’t like the ratings and stars because it feels like slamming a label on people).

kiolamkiolam
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I think that once you have some solid ideas on what you want your garden to look like, what kind of budget you can afford, and where you want the park located, find someone really good at the craft.

kcgardenskcgardens
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I definitely ask around.. neighbors, friends, family.. I like to see who they have used and if they think they’re reliable!

daviddavidiidaviddavidii
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Generally a minimum of 10 digits 🙂

luiLui
    Greenhorn
    Private message

@daviddavidii haha true, it’s a good sign they’ve made it so far without any accidents!  😛

arslant001arslant001
    Greenhorn
    Private message

The few things that we consider when hire a gardener.

• Necessary qualifications
    • Years of experience.
    • Met gardener licensing requirements

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)