Where to buy Common Myrtle (Myrtus Communis)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    davidgardendavidgarden
    Greenhorn
    Private message

If anyone knows where I can find this plant, please post a link!  I’ve been looking to buy Common Myrtle, but it’s surprisingly hard to find.  Most places only sell the ‘Compacta’ variety, that is quite different.  A few retailers I found sell something with this name that is not actually this plant.  This is so strange – it’s such a wonderful plant!

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Where are you at, David? In the US? I know in the SE it’s fairly common – the famed Myrtle Beach strip comes from that.

davidgardendavidgarden
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Yes! it’s a basic landscaping plant!  At my previous place I had several and found them really great for garden structure.  Now I’m in Northern CA – the nurseries here just don’t have it.  Which is strange because it would easily grow here in zone 9.  I’ve tried online sources too, no luck so far.

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

I’m not from CA, but is seems Suncrest nurseries has the plant on its list of plants that it grows on their pdf about “plants for a thirsty state”. If I read it well, there’s the common variety, a variegated one, the compacta you mentioned and then a variegated compacta. Maybe try to give them a call and see which of their retail partners might have a plant for sale?

davidgardendavidgarden
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Good idea to call them, I see they do have it on their list.  Thanks for your help!

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hope you find it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)