Why are my tomato seedling leaves wavy?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sargent219sargent219
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have been growing some tomato seedlings indoors and I have noticed recently that some of the leaves on a few of the seedlings have gone wavy. I bought a grow bulb that I put on for about 15 hrs a day, and it measures about 11000 lux at the point of the seedling leaves with the light alone (when the sun is out it gets about 18,000 at that distance from the light. It’s basement window haha.)

Am I getting too much light? Or do I need to water more? Or am I worrying too much?

sargent219sargent219
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Here is a picture of the tomato seedling in questionPXL_20220413_031640605PXL_20220413_031640605

hencethyhencethy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

They look fine to me. It’s the first set of leaves, so it’s just what the plant needs to get started. At this point they look very very healthy, especially with the new sets of leaves popping out just now. If they were outdoors I’d tell you to check for bugs like aphids or mites or other small critters, whenever they bite young leaves it makes them wavy. But these don’t show signs of that.  If anything I’d say those first cotyledon leaves are wanting to be true leaves already!

davidrdavidr
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It sounds like your seedlings are growing well. The wavy leaves are a good thing – it means they are getting air flow and excellent light. The wavy leaves do look a little weird, but they are only temporary. You could prune them off if you like.

mandyjames41mandyjames41
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Most likely, the light is too bright or too close to the plant. Usually, when tomato seedlings grow leaves, they will have a few leaves and then start growing side shoots with new leaves. The top leaves will slowly yellow because they are old and the plant is using them less. The side shoots will have new and fresh leaves. You should avoid getting the leaves yellow, which is the sign of over-watering and too much light. The best way to check if your plants are getting too much light is to look at the leaves. The edges should be green. Not yellow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)