Young butternuts outside

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    graciaGracia
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a few butternuts outside still very young to harvest. What can I do to save them from autumn cold? Can I cover them with anything so they could continue maturing?

carerCarer
    Greenhorn
    Private message

You can try covering them with plastic but I doubt it will save them that long knowing that squash is very susceptible to mildew when temperature starts to drop down.

graciaGracia
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh.. It seems that covering them is not worth the effort according to your comment Carer. If I harvest them now, I don’t even know if they taste good. Next year, I should really start planting quite early.

sha-shaSha-sha
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hey! Immature or green butternuts are as good as mature or yellow ones. I’ve tried one recipe: breaded young butternut. It was delicious. Just search on the net, there are pretty eassy recipes available.

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Like you Gracia, I had also immature butternuts last year. Not knowing what to do with it, it went to my compost. Your comment Sha-sha is very helpful!

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

graciaGracia
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi guys, thanks for your responses. It took me time to get logged in again on this forum so I could only write you back now. I already harvested my butternuts and will try cooking them soon. I really hope I’ll succeed in preparing delicious dishes out of it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)