bay laurel with swells on leaves and small insects

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ratatat-tattyratatat-tatty
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Hi all, my bay laurel  has a few branches that are overrun with tiny insects. I can’t tell what kind of bug it is. Are these small bugs causing the weird growth on my shrub’s leaves? Pictures attached.IMG_20220611_151750840IMG_20220611_151641148IMG_20220611_152155288IMG_20220611_151905385_HDR

I tried opening one up (see pic) and there were whitish big ones inside. What are these?

lareinalareina
    Greenhorn
    Private message

To me they look like scale insects, have you looked that up?

artslatartslat
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My soil is not very good, mostly clay and probably a lot of rubble, but OK for olives, and a pomegranate, a bay laurel and a stone pine (Pinus pinea) growing in the same area are all doing very well. It’s getting watered irregularly when we are taking a shower in summer, and some fertilizer now and then.
    I have been looking on the “garden’s alive” website because I want to order something to kill pests on my plants. I have no idea what products to look for and how I know which pests are good ones or which ones are bad. How do I know what is a disease and what is an insect? I have many different plants and I am learning about all of them since I moved into my house last August. I still don’t know what some of the plants are. I have strawberries and it looks like something has been eating a little of them. I have a bush that has some black things stuck to the back of the leaves and I saw ants crawling on it as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)