Monstera thrips and brown spots on the leaves

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    migoschmigosch
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi all,
    I’m new here and to plants in general. Got myself a Monstera that grew without problems for the past summermonths. At some point brown spots started to appear and after the last leaf was very small and already brown when it unfolded I inspected it closer and found thrips. Started using a pesticide that’s sprayed onto the leaves, use a fur roller to get adults off the plant. I now only see single thrips here and there. However the brown spots continue to spread. I’m wondering if I should do more against the thrips or if there might be another problem with the plant. I also took the plant out of the soil. It seems to me like a quite small amount of roots. The soil fell basically off the roots so it doesn’t seem to me like there has been much root growth lately.
    Some general info to the plant:

• Located in Norway so little light at the moment
    • Stands approx. 1m away from east facing window
    • Radiator approx. 1m away which is under the window on the wall
    • Re-potted once (around October) into a mixture of 40% orchid bark, 40% perlite, 20% regular soil

Here some pictures. Any help is appreciated. Would be kind of sad to loose the plant.

photo_5244451881177174469_yphoto_5244451881177174472_yphoto_5244451881177174470_yphoto_5244451881177174471_yphoto_5244451881177174468_y

johndavis43johndavis43
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hey, welcome to the plant parent club! Sounds like your Monstera’s had a bit of a rough patch. Thrips can be a real pain, but it seems like you’re on the right track with the pesticide and manual removal. Since you’re still spotting a few here and there, staying consistent with your current battle plan is key. The brown spots spreading, though, could mean there’s more to the story. It might not just be the thrips causing trouble. Your Monstera’s root situation and the brown spots could be hinting at root rot or a watering issue, especially if the roots aren’t looking too happy and growth seems stunted. Considering you’re in Norway and dealing with less light during this time of year, make sure you’re not overwatering. Your soil mix sounds pretty good for drainage, though. The plant’s proximity to the radiator could be drying it out faster or messing with its vibe, too. You might wanna try moving it a tad to see if it prefers a slightly different spot, away from direct heat. A bit of root booster could help, but mainly, keeping an eye on watering and those pesky thrips should be your go-to move. Good luck, and keep at it! Your green buddy appreciates all the love and care you’re putting in.

migoschmigosch
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi, thank you for the reply.
    I just wanted to give a brief update. Since I couldn’t get any improvement on the roots I decided to try and restart it through propagation.
    I cut the plant up into five sticklings, put them in water and got myself some plant lights to ensure they are getting enough light.
    To my surprise all sticklings have rooted and some of them already have growth. I will choose on which to keep for myself and see if some friends might want the other ones.
    No thrips have been seen in quite some time now, but I keep my eyes on those leaves like a hawk now 😀

aishamushtaqaishamushtaq
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Welcome! It sounds like you’re dealing with a tricky situation with your Monstera. Despite addressing the thrips, the spread of brown spots is concerning. Since you’ve inspected the roots and found them limited, it could be due to root issues or environmental factors like low light. Consider monitoring closely, adjusting the environment, checking root health, continuing pest control, and seeking expert advice if needed. Best of luck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)