African violet with long leggy stems falling over the edge of the pot

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ratatat-tattyratatat-tatty
    Expert gardener
    Private message

I have a few friends that give me their old houseplants when they get old and not so nice-looking anymore.

One just gave me a pair of african violets that have very long stems.

I’m a bit worried because it doesn’t look very good and I think it isn’t normal.

Why did they grow this way and how can I avoid it? What can I do to fix them?

Thanks for your answers

RT

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Good morning RT

Perhaps it had to stretch to reach for light? It depends on where it’s placed in the house.

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello ratatat-tatty,

Maybe you can share a photo of your african violets?

welcome-to-our-forum

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hello everyone, I agree with greensoul, I think that leggy stems is due to lack of light. But as Nate says, a picture would be precious to make sure that’s the problem.

Have a nice day

Loving the season!

Expert gardener
    Private message

african-violet-leggy-stem

Expert gardener
    Private message

It was actually in full sun at my friend’s house. She gave it to me to get rid of it. I’ve got a few more african violets of my own, I love taking care of them. Here are some of them. I’d like to take care of my friend’s violet and give it back to her healthy and happy, together with a few tips on how to care for it.

my-own-african-violets

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Good morning all,

African violet is a magnificent plant that blooms nearly all year round in my own home, I’m very happy to see I’m not the only one who loves them… It’s definitely worth making space for!

The one your friend gave you needs a little cleaning, its leaves seem a bit dry. It should be repotted, making sure the stem is centered in the pot. What’s for sure is that the soil sure seems depleted, it probably doesn’t have anything to feed on anymore! Because of previous lack of care, it lost its leaves around the base, that’s why the stem looks so bare. You can even see a few dried leaves still hanging on… and then the stem fell over to the side. Don’t put it in full sun but wait a few days after repotting.

As for growing tips, I’m not sure I should venture out and give you any: your own plants are magnificent!

Have a nice day.

Loving the season!

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Oh my these really look very beautiful! I can’t resist the urge to get a new one myself!  😀

Have a nice afternoon as well

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

All right it happened  😛  I got a new one. I had trouble choosing the color, there are always so many! And they gave me a broken stem that had already started growing roots , so lucky! And with even more luck, it’ll be a different color  :mrgreen:

And in the store I saw lots and lots of amaryllis… going to have to factor one of those in this week’s budget again!

Have a nice end of the day

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Well, greensoul, that’s a nice thing to hear!

Saint Paulia is a flower that is really nice to add flowers indoors. For sure, you won’t be disappointed! And it’s going to be fun to see the cutting grow. What color did you take, in the end?

Don’t worry about overdoing it. It’s really something healthy, so go ahead and splurge!

Loving the season!

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Purple, there wasn’t much of a choice…  😥  but still it’s beautiful and the craving was so strong!  😉

I hope to keep it in good shape… with a more “natural” growth since I don’t quite like how stores force plants to grow this way or that.

For now, I don’t plan to repot it just yet since they say it likes feeling tight in its pot. The pot is plastic which seems fine to me. In the end I’ll move her into a terra cotta pot, that’s just always been my favorite!

Have a nice evening

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)