Allamanda Florida Cold Snap How to possibly save them

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    popps9popps9
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Living in central Florida my Allamanda plants have survived 3 years outside. This current week we experienced below 30’s for a bit and now my Allamandas have been subjected to freezing. The leaves have all turned brown and shriveled up. Is there a way to save these plants or are should they just be replaced?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi Popps9!

welcome-to-our-forum

Allamanda is very vigorous: if the root system isn’t hit too hard by the cold, it’ll survive. You’ll have fresh new shoots in spring. Any airborne parts will die off. For now, you can leave them on the plant (even dead, they’ll provide protection from the cold.

If you can, spread a layer of any kind of plant mulch on the ground around the stem, it will protect the roots. After all, you might get another bout of cold before winter is over.

Definitely don’t declare the plant dead until spring is here and well engaged! Around the time tulips start appearing is when you can test for survival, if there isn’t any sign of life yet. Scratch a sliver of bark off near the root crown, you’ll quickly see if it’s still alive or whether it’s dead already.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

popps9popps9
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks Nate… hoping that spring comes and new growth appears as we don’t want to have to replace.

andrew18andrew18
    Greenhorn
    Private message

If the leaves have all turned brown and shriveled up, it’s likely that the plants have suffered significant damage. However, there are some steps you can take to try to save them:

1. Wait and observe: Wait for a few weeks to see if any new growth appears on the plants. Sometimes, plants can surprise you and recover from cold damage, even if they look dead. It’s possible that the roots are still alive and will send up new shoots when the weather warms up.

2. Prune damaged foliage: If you see any new growth, prune off the damaged foliage to help the plant focus its energy on new growth. However, if you don’t see any new growth after a few weeks, it’s likely that the plants are dead and you should remove them.

3. Protect from future freezes: If you decide to replant new Allamanda plants, be sure to protect them from future freezes. Cover them with frost blankets or bring them indoors if temperatures are expected to drop below freezing.

I hope this advice helps, and I wish you the best of luck with your Allamanda plants.

lennielennie
    Greenhorn
    Private message

That’s a great answer! I find it tricky to wrap Alamanda up for winter  though. Especially when it grows along a wall.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)