Are Soil Moisture Sensor Meters in any way toxic?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Reply
    magnesmagnes
    Greenhorn
    Private message

    Hi. I was using this Soil Moisture Sensor Meter that comes without battery (picture below) and its end broke off inside the ground so I had to throw the meter away and get a new one. My question is are there any toxic materials inside it that can damage the plant or is it totally okay to just leave the broken part inside the pot?

    HTB1wj9AXIvrK1Rjy0Feq6ATmVXaO

    Couldn’t find any information on that question online so had to ask.

    Reply
    Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Expert gardener (moderator)
    Private message

    Hi, I think you’re not at risk of anything. These types of meters simply check the conductivity, so the pins are made from simple metals. They won’t leach any dangerous chemicals anywhere, your plants are safe!

    Reply
    magnesmagnes
    Greenhorn
    Private message

    Thank you very much for that answer!

    Reply
    Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Expert gardener (moderator)
    Private message

    Sure, you’re welcome! It takes a while to get the hang of how much moisture a plant needs. Having tools like yours is great at the beginning, and after a while you’ll realize you can tell on your own just by looking at the soil and scratching under the surface a bit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)