Avocado sprout has algae in the glass, good or bad?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jamierose18jamierose18
    Greenhorn
    Private message

image0 (1)So I’ve been growing an avocado seed for a few months now and as it being my first attempt it has gone great! There is good size root and the sprout is starting to come out of the top. The water has a good amount of algae in it though, and I wasn’t quite sure if this harmful or beneficial. It has taken me a good amount of time to get the seed to the size it is and I would hate to lose it if it turns out that the algae is harmful. I’ve gotten mixed answers when trying to research this, so I was hoping someone who has successfully or unsuccessfully grown an avocado plant might have some insight into this. Any and all information would be very helpful!

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

It sure it going fine! Excellent job!

Very simple solution to your algae problem: change the water!

The algae will only become a problem if you let it spread too much, it’ll suck oxygen and nutrients out of the water. So just change the water out every other day or twice a week. If the water at the tap is too cold, then just fill a glass and set it next to your avocado. The next day, the temperature will have equalized and you can move the seed from the old glass to the new one. Rinse and repeat!

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

My little guy after 4 years: (I gave it a younger brother  😆  😆  😆  )

DSC09766

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)