black color inside branch (braided ficus benjamina)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    julijunebugjulijunebug
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello,

I have a tall braided weeping fig tree.

it has been losing its leaves for a while now.

so I repotted it and added fertilizer.

I wanted to prune it back but then I noticed that the inside of branches was all black on some parts of the tree. It looks like ashes or coal. Do you have any idea what this is? Or are the branches simply dead?

thanks

black-ficus-1black-ficus-2

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello Julijunebug

Welcome to the forum!

That does look strange. Did your focus suffer from the cold? Not even freezing, just the cold.

I had a very old Benjamin’s focus that had to spend time outside because I was having work done in the house. Even though I had wrapped it with winterizing fleece, it froze and the branches looked exactly like the pictures you shared.

Whatever the cause, I would cut short all branches that look like that because they’re dead. Check other branches if you see cracks in the bark, they’re probably in the same sorry state…

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

lennielennie
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I hope for you that the main part of the braided stems are still ok… otherwise you’ll have to braid them from scratch!

julijunebugjulijunebug
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Ugh… Thanks to both of you for your help. It did get cold for a spell when I left it in the lean-in while I was out for holidays early march and we got freezing outside. I thought it would be fine since it was a bit covered, but it seems it must have gotten too cold for it.

The black is even down to 2 of the 3 braided stems, only one still looks alive. I’ll have to decide what to do with it now…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)