Caring for my little loquat tree

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tito09Tito09
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello people!

I bought a small loquat tree, the little plant is about 5 feet tall, from the moment I brought it home I had some doubts. Step to comment:

1. Where I live we are in autumn and even the weather is warm. Is it a good time to transplant it? Or it is preferable to leave the plant during autumn winter in the pot. Because of its size, it seems to me that the pot is getting somewhat small.

2. In case of transplanting it, what place is more suitable for this? With a lot of sun exposure or semi-shade. On the other hand, what is the most favorable soil for a good development of this plant? I have read there that it likes saline soil, but my neighbor told me the opposite.

3. In this article where he talks about the traning of the loquat tree (https://howandwhentoprune.com/loquat-tree/) he says that at 50 cm from the ground I must select between 4-6 branches to be the main ones. The problem is that my plant has branches just a meter high, what should I do ?. Is it too high to start forming? Should I cut the main stem at 50 cm?

4. Finally, in the nursery they did not know how to assure me that I had bought a variety, is there any way to recognize it at this stage of the plant? Or should I wait when I am an adult to realize?

Thank you very much to anyone who can answer any of these questions! 🙂

r.l.R.L.
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Do you think you can share a photo of your loquat plant? It will help to identify the variety.

Nature makes us patient and humble.

kitty.25Kitty.25
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Normally, you can transplant from late fall to early winter. You might want to wait for early winter given that your weather is still warm. It is ideal to have it planted where there is full sun although partly shaded can be an option as well. Make sure no other plant within a radius of 15 ft so there is no competition when the plant is already fully grown…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)