Chatham Island Daisy bush (Olearea Traversiorum

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SandDriftSandDrift
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have two plants of the above which were planted close together 25+ years ago and despite being in an exposed spot and catching the full force of North of Scotland/Atlantic storms, they have thrived and are now quite large.  However, this winter we had a prolonged spell of snow and freezing temperatures and after that part of the shrub has died back, with more areas showing signs of going the same way.  What should I do with it, or to it?DF944C28-D594-4237-9E9C-7FE2EA36810C246C8466-A11C-4EE7-8A86-32180B4DEE4F

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello SandDrift,

welcome-to-our-forum

They do look nice, for sure! It’s probable the frost was a bit too strong for it this year, though I’d have expected it around the edges, notthe center.

If you don’t do anthing, it’ll grow into a more lopsided shape since the dying branches are preventing new growth.

I would go ahead and prune the dead wood off. Go as far down as you need to get the dead portions out of the way.

Then, I would give the whole shrub a pruning just to cut the tips. This will thin the canopy and let more light in, and it’ll also trigger denser regrowth. Prune slightly less near the portions of dead wood you cleared out so that you’re already favoring longer twigs there to bridge the gap.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

SandDriftSandDrift
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you for responding to my query Nate – very helpful advice which gives me a better understanding of what is needed.

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Sure thing! I hope it rounds off quickly!

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)