dwarf boxwood/yaupon hedge spacing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dlguinarddlguinard
    Greenhorn
    Private message

How close can I plant alternating dwarf English Boxwood and dwarf yaupon where they can be pruned individually, yet remain a hedge

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hi, it depends how large you want to let them grow I guess. When you mean hedge, you mean to form a continuous row, like you can’t cross it? Or are you thinking more along the lines of having an alignment but they’re still trimmed all around individually?

If you’re planting an alignment, it’s nice to keep them at least three feet apart, that’ll give you space to work around them and have fun with shapes and topiary.

If you’re going for a continuous hedge, for dwarf shrubs, I’d bring them closer, about a foot and a half. Any closer and they’ll compete too much, probably yaupon would win over because it’s a faster grower than boxwood.

dlguinarddlguinard
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Attached is a photo from iScape that I used in my garden design which I hope to duplicate. I am a novice and have never planted a hedge before.

dwarf yaupon and boxwood hedge

This hedge will be low and separate the lawn from a 8′ bed along the fence where I will have larger shrubs and a few small trees.

As you see, the dwarf yaupon will merge where the dwarf boxwood will be set back—or pruned to allow the connection of yaupons on its sides.  Basically, alternating them and pruning them somewhere In between your suggested spacing.  Would this be accomplished at 24″ spacing?

I am so happy to have discovered your website!  I have a garden in France  (old family home) that I hope to landscape a few beds around the house once the pandemic is over and we can travel there again 😊

jeffrycopejeffrycope
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Just saw your message that’s a swell project you’ve got there! Wow. Wasn’t familiar with iscapes looks really nice, is it a lot of work to set up your garden in it?

Re: your question I sure think 2 feet is perfect. Given your image, you can even make it a bit irregular: roll a couple dice to see how many inches to add or subtract, I like doing that when I plant tulips and bulbs but it can work here too (if total is odd, I subtract from base distance, if even I add to it). Also you can plant two of the same in a row from time to time.

It’s actually closer to topiary than simply growing a hedge. My experience in that is just to trim more often, it makes for very light work, no need to dispose of the trimmings because you keep them on the ground as mulch. For example, I know that for boxwood trimming they say only twice a year but in your case you can trim three or four times. The more you trim, the more it’ll branch out and fill in.

As it grows you’ll probably have to adjust the shapes to something different from your drawing, but that’s the fun of gardening!

dlguinarddlguinard
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you, @jeffrycope for the advice!

As for iScape, it is simple and fun. To use. It works only on iPhones and iPads, though. You take a photo of your space and then drop in plants/tress/flowers as well as retainer walls, fountains, if you do choose. You scale them to size and layer them.

It’s designed more for the novice; though I’ve read that some professional gardeners use it too. It’s an easy program to learn and it allows you to experiment with different plant combinations and compare your “ideas” in actual photos. Takes a lot of guess work out of the equation.

However, someone like me needs to first learn about what plants will thrive in my garden and how to plant them correctly to get the look I want. I’ve been spending days researching plants and happy to have discovered your helpful website. As well.

Thank you again for your help!
    Diana

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)