Ficus ginseng bonsai, is repotting now OK, or should I wait?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    etaketak
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I did have one question, do you think it would be better to repot mine now or leave it until later in the year? I only ask because I know it says earlier in the year but I’m in northwest England so it doesn’t really get too hot for long periods of time and we shut the curtains in the heat so it’s not really a hot room. Also I have never repotted it, I’ve had it for almost 2 years and I cut it back quite heavily about 5 weeks ago and removed all of the larger leaves that had developed at the ends of the branches.

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

for me as you say it’s perfectly fine to go ahead and repot it now, especially since you also just cut it back. There’s less leaves and branches than it’s used to so even if you disturb the roots when repotting it won’t have any troouble coping up.

Do you feel you can take it on? Please do tell me if you need help! I remember I saw a video here somewhere about that. Let me check 🕵️‍♀️

aha found it:

Transferring a bonsai to a new pot

it was actually in the bonsai pages

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

etaketak
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Ooh why thank you so very much for the information  😀 Yes I’m sure I can do that, it also makes me understand how it works a bit so I really appreciate that! I will take a before and after picture hehe

GaspardGaspard
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi etak, happy to see you here! I couldn’t help but also chip in and give you my own two cents about when to repot it.

Ficus ginseng is a slow grower, relatively to other potted plants, but for a bonsai it’s a pretty fast grower. Repotting helps it get the nutrients it needs because they’ve been washed out or used up over time.

Ideally, you’d always pair both steps: heavy maintenance pruning + repotting. That way the tree is only stressed out once, plus both operations are complementary (repotting = removing some roots, so it’s perfect to remove some branches/leaves to balance it out, too).

5 weeks is like nothing to a plant like the ficus: so go ahead and do it now, that way it’ll “think” it all got done together!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)