Laurel bushes dying in Winter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    andy holmesandy holmes
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Can anyone tell me why my Laurels start to die in winter, but then look healthy and show signs of new growth in summer? I have noticed that the ones affected have this growth in the trunk (see photo attached) and the healthy ones don’t!319D6485-9EE5-48F4-B3D2-87984C1EBD67

MonaliMonali
    Greenhorn
    Private message

That’s lichen on the bark, it is. I don’t think that’s what causing the problems. It just grows there without bothering the host.

But if it’s there and not on the other trees, it also means that those trees are more moist or wet or humid or whatever. And it does seem like this tree is under attack by lots of other critters too: almost every leaf has a spot or a tear of some kind.

Like the black spots on the ones bottom left are armored scale. Not too dangerous but weaken the tree. Then top right there are holes in the leaves, it’s like a shothole fungus. And then other leaves are curled and warped and waffled up. It’s a bit like you’ve got all the possible diseases at once!

Is there something different in the way they were planted? Are they lower down than the healthier ones, maybe they’re getting too much water and nearly drown in winter?

andy holmesandy holmes
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi Monali,

thanks for your reply, the only difference is that they are planted at the lower end of the garden, perhaps it is wetter there in winter! Maybe I could try putting some plastic sheeting around the base in winter to divert the rain!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)