Lavender difference between english and french ones

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

What is the difference between English and French lavender? I tried searching online but it is quite hard to get the clear information for someone like me who is a beginner at caring for lavender. Thank you.

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Good day! I came across this topic when I was searching for answers regarding my hibiscus plant (which I confess I still haven’t found any and hoping anyone could help me from this forum).

There are 4 main aspects which differentiate English lavender from the French one.

• English lavender survives in cold-hardy winters while French lavender needs to be in warmer climate.
    • French lavender flowers bloom longer more or less from spring to late summer.
    • French lavender has stronger scent.
    • English lavender produces more oil.

That’s all I’ve got. Hope this helps you. I would be happy to hear your feedback…

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Hi Rosalyn! Thanks a lot for answering my question. I know this message is really late (i was in a business trip and just got the time back to my passion) but better late than never as the saying goes.

The information you provided is pretty clear. But, will you be able to identify if my plant is English or French lavender? Please see attached picture.

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

No problem. I would say, ‘welcome back to gardening’ then! 🙂

Looking at the picture, your plant is an English lavender. It’s quite big already. Must have attracted bees and butterflies!

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

And by the way, just saw that Nature and Garden has added a good article on the difference between French and English lavender: https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/english-vs-french-lavender.html

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

So what I’d thought was correct – my plant is an English lavender. Definitely this lavender plant was one of the bees’ favorite flowers last summer! Thanks again Rosalyn. You’ve been very helpful!

betsylilybetsylily
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It seems that with the white flowers, it’s even a variety called ‘Alba’. Very nice indeed!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)