pot size for repotting recently purchased gardenias recently

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My husband has recently purchased 5 new 12 inch gardenias for me cause he wants me to get rid of my 6-7 foot gardenias so they don’t have to be moved indoors in the winter, it’s a hard job but I’m not getting rid of them!!!  The new ones are in 12 inch pots, should I transplant to a larger pot or keep them in 12 inch pots.  I haven’t transplanted the big ones in years.  Thanks

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi, welcome to the forum!

welcome-to-our-forum

Haha I think your husband secretly understands what you like… more plants!

I wouldn’t repot the new ones quite yet. As it is, they’ve already got lots of room still in their 12-inch pots. It’ll only be perhaps next year or the one after that that they’ll need a new, slightly larger pot.

Do you mean to say the older ones are also still in their original 1 foot pot? How do you keep them from tipping over?

Maybe as a counter-gift you could offer your husband a set of wheelie trays to put the pots on so they’re easier to move when the time comes…  😛   😛

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

talha waseemtalha waseem
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Transplant the new 12-inch gardenias into larger pots to ensure healthy growth, as they may outgrow their current containers. Consider doing the same for the larger gardenias if they haven’t been transplanted in years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)