Propagation of papyrus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    greensGreens
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Is clump division the way to propagate papyrus? If yes, is there something to consider or to be careful with?

The stalks are hollow so I don’t think it’s through cutting.

KatyKaty
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Yes, clump division is one way. I don’t think there is something to be taken into consideration.

How I started my papyrus was through the leaves which I had taken from a friend’s. It’s very easy to do but takes a few weeks before roots appear and then can be transplanted. Just cut one leaf and then put it in a glass with water upside down. See attached pictures.

KatyKaty
    Greenhorn
    Private message

By the way, if leaves are too long, you can cut the tip off like what I did.

alby81Alby81
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh, didn’t know you could propagate papyrus through the leaves. Where do roots appear? Thanks for sharing, Katy!

greensGreens
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks, Katy for the info and for taking the time to demonstrate how to propagate through the leaves. It’s good to know. It would be fun to do it with kids.

I believe the roots will come out at the tip of the stalk where leaves grow? Please correct me if I’m wrong, Kathy.

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Sorry for barging in but I couldn’t resist, yes it’s excellent for kids, my science teacher gave me a stalk when I was 12 years old and now 28 years later I still have one growing strong! I gave a stem to a friend at one point and when my plant died because I moved away, he gave me another stem back so it’s like still the same plant!

Loving the season!

KatyKaty
    Greenhorn
    Private message

@Greens – Yes, the roots appear at the tip of the stalk where leaves are attached. Basically, it grows in spaces between leaves. In the end, old leaves will rot away and new stalks will emerge.

@Fatzo
    – That’s a nice story!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)