Rose cuttings not making roots
December 17, 2020 at 4:40 pm Reply
I’ve been trying so hard to get rose cuttings grow roots but I fail every time. The stems turn black instead. Any particular technique I missed?December 18, 2020 at 11:32 am ReplydarkgrayPrivate messageGreenhorn
Hello! Did you plant it directly in the soil or soak it in water?December 18, 2020 at 6:08 pm Reply
Thank you for your responding.December 21, 2020 at 11:05 am Replyratatat-tattyPrivate messageExpert gardener
It also depends on the season. In my experience, when I tried water cuttings I had to really be careful of three things:
- use rain water instead of tap water which was very loaded in chlorine or other chemicals
- change the water every two days or weird stuff would develop
- keep the cuttings near light but temperature had to be warm, around 20°C
I lost a few which were on a windowsill where it got cold at night, I think it didn’t like it… Did you check the article on this website? It’s simple and easy enough to follow. I use honey as a rooting agent.
https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/rose-cutting.htmlDecember 21, 2020 at 1:53 pm ReplydarkgrayPrivate messageGreenhorn
Indeed, water has to be changed 2-3 times a week or the stem rots. I put my cuttings near the sink so I see it often and not forget to change. From my experience, I used tap water and could be the reason why I lost at least 50% (I usually have at least 5 when propagating through cuttings).
I also tried putting directly in soil like in the video @ratattat-tatty provided above, except without using rooting hormone. I got 40% survival.December 21, 2020 at 8:35 pm Reply
Your inputs are very helpful. I’m also doing my own research on the side.
- You must log in to post and answer topics. Sign up / Sign in
Discover member gardens
N&G Forum Categories
Can you answer these?
- Pollarding mature weeping willow by council has me worried
- TREE PLANTING AND FODDER PRODUCTION FOR SMALL RUMINANTS IN TROPICAL FOREST.
- looking for plants with extensive and fast growing woody root systems
- Acaccia Delbarta… No flowers after four years from seed.
- is it possible to water a plant from below, in the saucer?