Strange chicken eggs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bobkingerbobkinger
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Checked my chickens the other day and saw weird, mushy eggs for the first time. they were not round so if they hadn’t been laid in the intended box, I couldn’t say they were eggs. What’s the cause of this?

trishTrish
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Perhaps lack of calcium? I know that very thin egg shells signifies chickens get less calcium from their food.

bobkingerbobkinger
    Greenhorn
    Private message

That’s interesting.. I did have eggs with thin shells. I buy my chicken feed from a garden store so I thought it’s packed with nutrients crucial for egg production. You have any brands to recommend that have sufficient calcium? Thanks for your response anyway.

frizzlerFrizzler
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oyster and mussel shells are actually very good source of calcium for chickens. Crush them into small bits and feed them directly – they’ll love it! Forget about buying another brand of feeds.

roulajRoulaj
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I agree that calcium could be the cause but not the only the possible culprit. Another angles to look into are

• Is the chicken coop or their day space big enough for the number of chickens there are?
    • Is there a rooster?

Chickens are disturbed by the lack of space. Sometimes hens are stressed from over mating roosters!!  Yes, you heard it right – roosters can over mate.. If you identify that the latter is the problem, good thing hens don’t need a rooster to lay eggs so you can isolate them…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)