Tomatoes growing on top of the ground

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    joycerousselotjoycerousselot
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have heard that certain varities can grow along the top of the ground making new roots as they go along. Could anyone help me to find out which varieties can do this.  Thankyou !

farrahFarrah
    Greenhorn
    Private message

hello

can’t they all do this? I mean when we plant them it’s said to bury a good portion of the seedling to get even more roots, and others even try to make cuttings and root them. So I’d be surprised if they didn’t all do it but to be honest I never tried…

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi Joyce, welcome to the forum!

welcome-to-our-forum

Farrah is partly right, but not all tomatoes are necessarily ideal for this.

In this article about tomatoes without stakes, a few specific varieties are recommended: the ‘Felicia’, ‘Ferline’, and then all the cherry tomatoes and plum tomatoes (like the roma, banana legs, torino…). The point of the article is that they tend to not spread too much anyways, so it isn’t going to run around like crazy.

I think in your case you’d like to just keep spreading them through layering, maybe along a trellis like you would train blackberries year in and year out. Is this your goal? Or are you hoping to fill in a hole in a line after a tomato plant died off?

But the technique you have in mind will certainly work well with every tomato variety. The only issue you might run into is either lack of space… or winter!

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

mia-5db6c8f7ee370Mia
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’ve had this happen with an Andine Cornue variety, if it helps. It fell over in june when a stake rotted away and I was out. The mulch must have been nice because the whole stem was starting to grow roots!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)