Washington Navel Orange Tree

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello everyone, I’m new to the world of growing a tree (let alone a weed).  Here’s my question.  I just recently transplanted a Washington Navel Orange (Std) and within 2 weeks it’s starting to grow new branches.  Or is it really growing what is known as watersprouts?  And if these are watersprouts orangeI would also like to point out that my leaves look good and if anything, when I planted the tree it had a couple of leaves that were half green half yellow.  They have both transitioned to green.  And yes I’m in a perfect climate in Southern California.  Thanks for your help.

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi! These might technically be watersprouts, since they appear around the trunk. I suppose the seedlings were growing packed together at the nursery, and now in your garden the trunk is getting full sun for the first time. On so young a tree, though, i don’t think watersprouts pose any problems, since they can grow into large structural branches in time if you so wish.

What you’d want to do now is read up on citrus pruning. You don’t need to prune yet, but taking the time to read different articles and techniques will slowly guide your thoughts when you observe your orange tree. When the time comes to prune, you’ll be, like “yeah so of course this and this are going to be my structural branches”, which is nice.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)