What are these flies in stephanotis flower

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EveliebEvelieb
    Greenhorn
    Private message

New to gardening! I planted 3 Stephanotis in my garden last year. One is doing extremely well and has tons of flower on it. This morning I noticed lots of small striped flies in the blooms. Does anyone know what the bug is and is it detrimental to the plant?

EveliebEvelieb
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Another view

bertybertbertybert
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi Evelieb welcome to the forum! Those tiny flies look exactly like fruit flies. I bet they fly kind of in a slow, hovering pattern, not really jumping all around. I think they’re attracted by the nectar? Maybe you have a source of them nearby like old fruit in a fruit bowl or fallen fruits somewhere. They won’t lay any eggs on your stephanotis so no need to worry about anything.

allaboutplantsallaboutplants
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I was thinking the same thing – fruit flies! I’d say they’re just there for a rest. 😉 And yes they lay eggs in the fruits.

You’ve got beautiful flowers by the way!  😮

EveliebEvelieb
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh I see! It didn’t occur to me that they could be fruit flies because there’s no fruit on the plant or anywhere at all in my yard for that matter. Also I thought fruit flies were much smaller. Thanks for your help!

bertybertbertybert
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Size matches that of fruit flies, about 1/8th inch, it’s already very small, anything smaller is either in the thrips, gnat or midge category. But fruit flies usually have reddish eyes, so I looked into it a bit and perhaps these small flies you have are phorids. Harmless, usually attracted to decaying debris, not necessarily fruits. Why they’re interested in your stephanotis flowers I have no idea… maybe they just stopped at the bar for a mug of nectar!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)