Cordyline dieing? Please help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    rookie-gardenerrookie-gardener
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi i got this lovely Cordyline plant from a private seller on Facebook. The photo at the bottom was how it looked like and the photos at thd top 2 weeks later.

It’s been put in a 44cm pot and I have used
    Jonsons innes 3 soil + perlite. I did untangle the roots when planted as the plant was pot bound. There is 6 holes at the bottom and is slightly raised off the decking.

It wasn’t In the best condition when i got it but as you can see from the photos it’s dieing. I don’t water it everyday but check the soil regularly and also use a soil checker to make sure it’s not too wet or too dry.

It’s south facing and gets the sun mostly all day when hot.

Any help much appreciated

IMG_20230826_072124

IMG_20230826_072128Screenshot_20230814_071502_com.facebook.katana

vannessvanness
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello rookie-gardener! It does look like it has potential! Lovely

It seems to me there might be too much water, that’s what the slightly drooping and yellowing tells me. It may seem strange given that you put perlite in, but what happens is that the new pot is very large, bigger than its previous. And its roots aren’t yet covering the whole thing. So moisture stays trapped in the soil and roots aren’t strong enough yet to absorb it.

At the beginning, when you repot a plant that really loves drainage, it’s better to underwater than to overwater. It gives damaged roots time to heal and rebuild their tiny rootlets that are always torn off.

Cordyline can take a week without watering, which is what I’d do: let the soil dry out a bit. At the same time, though, protect the plant from hot sun, so that the leafy parts aren’t stressed out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)